Fragrant coconut tofu curry, green beans & rice
A fragrant tofu & coconut curry, infused with ginger, garlic and cardamom. Cardamom is a member of the ginger family, and shares similar health benefits like improving digestion.
- 300 g firm tofu (soya)
- 80 g wild rice
- 300 g carrots
- 4 cm fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 80 g green beans
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Boil a kettle. Add the wild rice to the pan with 400ml boiling water, season with sea salt and simmer for 25-30 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the carrots into 2cm pieces. Peel and finely chop the ginger and garlic. Finely chop the chilli. Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods, lightly bruise the seeds with a rolling pin and discard the green shells.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a large pan. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and cardamom seeds to the pan and cook for 1 min, then add the carrots and cook for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the tofu, and cut into 2cm cubes. Trim the green beans and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Add the turmeric and tofu to the pan with the carrots and stir for 1 min, then add the coconut milk and green beans. Season with sea salt and black pepper and simmer for 10 mins until the sauce has reduced and the vegetables are tender.
- Drain the wild rice. Serve the rice in a warm bowl and spoon over the tofu coconut curry.