Fajita bowl with spicy quinoa, beans and avocado
In this superfood fajita bowl we've replaced the tortilla with protein packed quinoa, mixed with spicy jalapenos and fibre rich kidney beans, topped with health-boosting avocado and a delicious coconut lime drizzle.
- 80 g quinoa
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 avocado
- 30 g pickled sliced jalapenos
- handful coriander
- 240 g kidney beans (drained)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lime
- 20 g creamed coconut
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Boil a kettle. Rinse the quinoa and place in a pan of 300ml boiling water for 15 mins until cooked.
- Meanwhile finely slice the red onion and red pepper. Peel and de-stone the avocado and slice thinly. Finely chop the jalapenos and the coriander leaves.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a medium-sized pan. Drain the kidney beans and add to the pan with half of the smoked paprika and the jalapenos and cook for 5 mins. Remove from the pan, set aside and cover.
- In the same pan, heat 1/2 tbsp oil and fry the onion for 3 mins, then add the red pepper and fry for 5 mins. Stir through the remaining smoked paprika.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the creamed coconut with 30ml boiling water to form a sauce. Add a squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of sea salt.
- When the quinoa has finished cooking, drain and mix with the kidney beans and half of the coriander. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- To serve: spoon the quinoa and beans into a bowl, top with the red pepper and onion, then layer over the sliced avocado. Drizzle over the coconut lime sauce and scatter over the remaining coriander leaves.