Chicken curry, sweet potato, coconut & black rice
This Goan inspired chicken curry is made with creamy coconut milk, spinach and cherry tomatoes. We serve this alongside antioxidant rich black rice.
- 360 g free-range chicken breast
- 80 g black rice
- 160 g sweet potato
- 60 g spinach
- 40 g creamed coconut
- 4 cm ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 160 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp desiccated coconut (sulphites)
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Boil a kettle. Rinse the black rice and add to a saucepan with 400ml boiling water, season with a pinch of sea salt and simmer for 25-30 mins.
- Peel and finely chop the ginger and finely chop the garlic. Slice the cherry tomatoes into quarters. Peel and cut the sweet potato into 1cm cubes. Thinly slice the chicken.
- Dissolve the creamed coconut in a jug of 100ml boiling water.
- Heat a medium-sized pan with 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium heat, add the garlic, ginger and garam masala for 1 min, then add the chicken slices for 2 mins until browned, followed by the sweet potato for a further 5 mins. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
- Pour in the creamed coconut and simmer for 10 mins, then add the spinach and cherry tomatoes and cook for 5 mins until the chicken in cooked through.
- Drain the black rice.
- Serve the Goan chicken curry in a warm bowl, sprinkle over the desiccated coconut and serve alongside the black rice.