Cardamom and honey chicken thighs with quinoa
Juicy chicken thighs with a sweet, sticky sauce of honey and tamari with crushed cardamom seeds, great for improving digestion, served with quinoa and roasted green beans.
- 300 g free-range chicken thighs
- 80 g quinoa
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp tamari (soya)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 cardamom pods
- 1 red pepper
- 120 g green beans
- 20 g flaked almonds (nuts)
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6 and boil a kettle.
- Finely chop or crush the garlic. Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods, lightly bruise the seeds with a rolling pin (or use a pestle and mortar) and discard the green shells. Chop the red pepper into bite-sized pieces and trim the green beans. Slice each chicken thigh in half.
- To make the cardamom and honey sauce; in a bowl, mix together the honey, tamari, garlic and cardamom seeds with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with black pepper. Place the chicken in the bowl and stir to coat.
- Place the chicken and sauce in an oven-proof dish with the red pepper and green beans and drizzle over 1 tsp oil. Place in the oven for 20 mins, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Rinse the quinoa and place in a pan with 300ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 15 mins then drain.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven. Mix the red peppers and juices from the pan with the quinoa.
- To serve, spoon the red pepper quinoa onto a warm plate. Then layer over the green beans followed by the chicken thighs, and sprinkle over the flaked almonds.