Black bean burger, avocado salsa, vegetable fries
We've created a smoky paprika black bean burger served alongside parsnip and sweet potato fries. The fibre in black beans helps to lower cholesterol.
- 240 g black beans (drained)
- 4 spring onions
- 1/2 lime
- 2 tomatoes
- handful coriander
- 200 g sweet potato
- 200 g parsnips
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato & parsnips into fries. Mix in a bowl with half of the smoked paprika and 1/2 tbsp oil, and season with black pepper and sea salt. Place on a baking sheet in the oven for 20-25 mins, turning halfway through.
- Finely slice the spring onions, discarding the root at the end. Heat a frying pan on a medium heat with 1 tsp oil and add the spring onions to the pan and fry for 2 mins.
- Drain the black beans. Add these, the chilli flakes and the remaining smoked paprika to the pan with the spring onions and cook for 3 mins. Season and roughly mash the beans with the back of a spoon.
- Transfer the black bean mixture to a bowl and let cool for 5 mins. Then shape into two burgers and place on a baking sheet in the oven for 10-15 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and de-stone the avocado then roughly chop. Dice the tomatoes and roughly chop the coriander leaves. Mix together in a bowl with the juice from the lime and season.
- Serve each black bean burger on a warm plate alongside the parsnip and sweet potato fries, and the avocado salsa.