Beetroot & dill quinoa risotto with parsnip crisps
A healthy twist on the traditional risotto, using the ancient grain quinoa for a protein boost, and grated beetroot, known for its detoxifying effects on the body.
- 80 g quinoa
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 200 g beetroot
- 300 g parsnip
- 100 g mangetout
- 2 vegetable stock cube (celery)
- 30 g creamed coconut (sulphites)
- 10 g pumpkin seeds
- Fresh dill
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6.
- Boil a kettle and dissolve the stock cube in a jug of 300ml water. In a bowl, dissolve the creamed coconut in 20ml boiling water to form a sauce.
- Finely chop or crush the garlic clove. Dice the onion and peel and grate the beetroot. Peel and very finely slice the parsnips.
- Heat a medium-sized pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat. Fry the garlic and onion for 5 mins, then add the grated beetroot for 3 mins. Rinse the quinoa and add to the pan, stir frequently for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, place the parsnips on a baking tray and drizzle over 1/2 tbsp oil, place in the oven for 15 mins until crisp.
- Then pour in the vegetable stock, stir and leave to simmer for 10 mins, then add the mangetout and cook for a further 5-10 mins until the quinoa is cooked and the mangetout is tender. Add more boiling water if needed. Once cooked, stir through half of the dill.
- Spoon the beetroot quinoa risotto onto two warm plates, drizzle over the creamed coconut, sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds and parsnip crisps and the remaining dill. Season with black pepper.