Beef rendang, lemongrass, mangetout & brown rice
A creamy fragrant beef curry using fresh lemongrass and ginger, plus ground cinnamon for a rich flavour, a highly regarded spice known for stabilising blood sugar levels.
- 300 g organic beef steak
- 80 g brown rice
- 4 cm fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 fresh lemongrass stalk
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 40 g creamed coconut
- 80 g mangetout
- 80 g baby sweetcorn
- handful coriander
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and add to a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins until cooked.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger. Trim the ends of the lemongrass, remove the outer layer and finely chop. Thinly slice the red chilli.
- Trim the baby sweetcorn and mangetout. Roughly chop the coriander. Cut the beef into bite-sized chunks.
- Dissolve the creamed coconut in 200ml boiling water. Heat a medium-sized pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and fry the garlic, ginger, chilli and lemongrass for 2 mins. Then add the beef for 7 mins until browned.
- Then add the baby sweetcorn, creamed coconut and cinnamon and simmer for 5 mins, then add the mangetout and cook for a further 5 mins until the sauce has reduced. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
- Drain the brown rice and stir through the coriander.
- Serve the brown rice on a warm plate, make a well in the centre and spoon over the beef rendang.