Avocado & Raw Cacao Cheesecake
Here in the Mindful Chef kitchen, we are celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with this bright green avocado cheesecake. A delicious combination of smooth and creamy avocado, zingy lime and a nutty chocolate base! We are always trying to create healthier versions of our favourite sweet treats, and inspired by Jasmine & Melissa Hemsley’s version, we made our very own avocado cheesecake with a base made of pecans, walnuts, dates and raw cacao. Avocados are packed full of health-boosting properties and good fats - did you know that they include monounsaturated fat which raises levels of good cholesterol! Avocados also contain lecithin, which helps improve brain function and Vitamin E which acts as an antioxidant to protect the body against harmful toxins. Raw cacao is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans, so they retain all the nutritional benefits - raw cacao is a rich source of magnesium to help regulate blood pressure. Here is the recipe so you can make it at home (we highly recommend it!). The recipes serves 12 people, so it's perfect for a St Patrick’s Day party! You can always halve the ingredients for a smaller cheesecake.
- 100g pecans
- 50g walnuts
- 250g pitted dates
- 50ml coconut oil (melted, at room temperature)
- 3 tbsps raw cacao powder
- 8 medium avocados
- 8 limes
- 8 tbsp agave nectar
- 100ml coconut oil
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- Line the base of a 23cm spring form cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the pecans and walnuts in a food processor and blend until they break into small pieces.
- Roughly chop the dates and add to the food processor with the nuts and blend for 1 min. Then add the raw cacao and coconut oil and blend for 1 min until fully combined.
- Place this mixture at the base of the cake tin, firmly press down evenly and place in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and de-stone the avocados and roughly chop. Add to a food processor with the coconut oil, juice from the limes and the agave nectar. Blend for a few mins until smooth.
- Reserve 3 tbsps of this avocado filling and place in a bowl, mix well with 2 tbsp raw cacao powder.
- Pour out the rest of the green avocado filling evenly onto the cheesecake base and smooth the top.
- Take the raw cacao avocado filling from the bowl and spoon/drizzle over the top, allowing the green to show through on half of the cheesecake. We used a skewer to make a pattern on the top!
- Cover the cheesecake tin with cling film and leave in the fridge for a few hours to firm up.
- Remove from the fridge and run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake to release it. Enjoy!