Apple, fennel & brown lentils with toasted walnuts
A light summery dish of avocado, crisp apple matchsticks and fibre packed brown lentils with a dressing of Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar, which has been widely praised for its health benefits.
- 80 g dried brown lentils
- 1 fennel head
- 1 red onion
- 1 apple
- 1 avocado
- 15 g walnuts
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4. Boil a kettle and rinse the lentils. Place in a pan with 300ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25-30 mins until tender.
- "Finely slice the onion and the fennel. Peel and de-stone the avocado and slice thinly. Cut the apple into matchsticks. Roughly chop the parsley.
- To toast the walnuts, place the walnuts on a baking tray in the oven for 5-10 mins. Remove from the oven and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan with 1 tbsp oil. Add the onion and cook for 5 mins, then add the fennel for 3 mins until beginning to soften. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To make the dressing; in a bowl, mix the Dijon mustard with the apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Drain the lentils, place in a separate bowl with the onion and fennel, the apple matchsticks and the parsley. Combine well and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve on two plates and top with the avocado, scatter over the toasted walnuts and drizzle over the dressing.