Refined Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins
Did you know that many store bought breakfast foods like blueberry muffins, pancake mix and granola actually don’t contain real blueberries?! They are sometimes totally fake ‘blueberries’ or ‘blueberry pieces’ which are made up of sugars, corn syrup and food colouring, some of the brands that do this may shock you – I know it shocked me! It can be disheartening when you are trying hard to eat clean and you find out that the ‘healthy’ breakfast you were eating and instagraming actually isn’t as nutritious as you thought. The appeal of store bought breakfast foods is that they appear healthy and convenient and although some of it totally is, that’s not always the case. Wherever possible, I try to make my own breakfasts for the week in batches so that I know 100% all the ingredients and I can just grab it before work and go. These blueberry muffins are naturally sweetened with honey and keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days so you can make them on a Sunday and enjoy them all week.
- 280 g whole wheat flour
- 120 g organic white flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300 g plain Greek yogurt
- 150 g runny honey
- 2 eggs
- 105 g oil – I used coconut oil however olive oil can be used
- 150 g fresh blueberries
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius and line a 12 muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs together, then add the honey and vanilla and whisk. Lastly, add the oil and mix well. If you are using coconut oil, melt it first before mixing in.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Pour the egg, oil, vanilla and honey mixture into the dry bowl and fold with a wooden spoon.
- Gently mix in the yogurt and blueberries and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 10 mins. After 10 mins, reduce the heat to 185. Celsius and bake for a further 10-15 mins or until the tops are golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when poked into the muffin.