Mamma Mazzoni’s Low Fat Minestrone Soup
This is my mum’s minestrone soup which is comforting, filling and low fat. So put on the Dean Martin at full blast, whack on your apron, grab a glass of vino and get started on this soup.
- 3 celery stalks
- 3 carrots
- 250 g baby potatoes
- 1/2 cabbage
- 1 tin cannellini/butter beans
- 1 onion
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Grated parmesan for serving (to keep the disk vegan, don’t use any)
- On medium heat, put the olive oil and onions into a large saucepan. After about 3 minutes add the celery, vegetable stock, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, potatoes and beans.
- Lower the heat to the lowest setting, cover the saucepan and leave for about 2.5 to 3 hours. You can eat it after about an hour but the longer you leave it, the better it will be.
- I asked my mum what keeps the carrots and potatoes from going mushy since they are in the hot water for so long and she said it was because of the acidity from the tomatoes and the olive oil, she hasn’t ever been wrong about anything else in the kitchen so I’ll take her at her word about it!
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with parmesan.
- What you don’t eat, put in the fridge and enjoy over the next few days. The great thing about this soup is that you can add a few extra vegetables and more water after you’ve had the first few servings, just make sure to keep the water you add proportional to how many servings you have had.