Cottage Pie with Creamed Broccoli
Ah cottage pie, is there anything in this world more comforting than cottage pie? There certainly is not! Okay, maybe I have said that about a lot of my recipes, but seriously guys, put your pjs on and eat this out of a bowl in bed while binge watching Netflix and you are in for a real treat. A real treat which is high in protein and coated in a layer of creamy broccoli and topped off with a layer of melted cheese – HELLO!
- 1 brown onion
- 3 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 leek
- 400 g lean beef mince
- 3 1/2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 stalks of parsley
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 30 g cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius.
- Chop up the leek, garlic, parsley, carrots and broccoli, put these to one side.
- Finely chop the brown onion and cook in the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once the onions are becoming translucent, add in the garlic and mince.
- When the mince is browned, pour in about 2 cups of water. Add in the parsley, carrots, leek, bay leaves and tomato puree. Cover and leave to simmer for about 25 mins on low heat.
- Meanwhile, boil the broccoli until soft. Alternative you can steam the broccoli – totally up to you, I’m not here to tell you how to live your life.
- Once the broccoli is soft, drain and blend with the butter. If you do not have a blender, you can use an electric masher/creamer or do it by hand with a potato masher. Once it’s nice and creamy, it’s done.
- When the 25 mins of simmering is up, transfer the contents of the pan into a baking tray. Next ,spread the creamed broccoli over the top, until it is completely coated.
- Finish it off by sprinkling the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 mins or until the cheese is a nice golden brown on the edges.