Sweet Potato & Chickpea Salad
Check out this awesome new salad! It tastes 1000% as good as it looks and is the perfect dish all on it's own or as a side. I would love to say this recipe was inspired by travels to far off lands or by a great chef but in reality, it was inspired by a dish I regularly order from my local Indian takeaway - Aloo Chana Chaat. Yes, I eat takeaway. I wholeheartedly believe you can enjoy all food (except if you're allergic or intolerant) as part of a healthy lifestyle and I follow the 80:20 rule. So, for the most part, my diet is full of fresh, unprocessed foods. Indian's traditionally have one of the healthiest diets in the world, using lots of whole and nutritious foods; herbs, spices, vegetables etc. So although Indian takeaways may not always use the best quality ingredients; Indian recipes are nutritious and healthy. And whenever I do go for a takeaway, I always order a combination of meat and vegetarian dishes so I am being a healthy as I want to be whilst tucking into one my favourite foods.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 red onion
- 2 cm ginger
- 2 cloves cloves
- 1 tbsp chaat masala or fruit chaat
- 1 tbsp ground nut oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- handful coriander
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 180 C.
- Cover the sweet potato with the chaat and oil, combine well then add to a heated tray and cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes (or until cooked), turning once.
- Combine the remaining ingredients (except coriander) in a large bowl, add the sweet potato hot or allow to cool. Mix well.
- Add the coriander just before serving.
- Enjoy on it's own, with a side of greens or alternatively with baked fish or chicken.