This is one of those meals that I regularly eat mid week because it's so quick to make and mighty tasty. There's only a few vegetables that actually need chopped in preparation and none of the ingredients take long to cook at all. Even the rice doesn't need long as it is pre cooked. I mostly use pre cooked rice during the week when I'm making quick meals. I tend to use Tilda's Brown Basmati Rice, because brown basmati is more nutrient dense (white rice has been stripped of all it's goodness in the process of becoming white), and doesn't raise blood sugar level like the white variety. Plus, after a long day at work, I can never be bothered to cook rice. So this little cheat means you'll have your dinner made quickly with perfectly cooked rice. Although, kedgeree is traditionally made with milk and/or butter, my version is a little healthier with leaving them out but it definitely doesn't disappoint on flavour. The flavours are just perfect in this dish, so delicious and fresh tasting. And a poached egg on top just never fails to complete any meal.
- 2 Haddock fillets
- 500 g Pre steamed brown basmati rice
- 100 g Asparagus
- 1 Red pepper
- 3 large Spring onions
- 100 g Frozen peas
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander
- 1 tbsp Parsley
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed or coconut oil
- 350 ml Water
- 1 egg
- Heat oil in large flat based pan.
- Add peppers, asparagus stems - fry for 2 mins.
- Add turmeric, curry powder and mustard seeds - fry for further 2 minutes.
- Add the water, stir and place haddock fillets to the pan and cover for 2 minutes.
- Add peas, asparagus tips and the rice. Mix, breaking up the fish into large flakes.
- Cover and allow to cook for further 5 minutes or until rice is piping hot.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil, for the poached eggs, with a splash of vinegar.
- Reduce to simmer. Stir to create a swirl and crack the egg in to the center to shape a perfect poached egg. Poach for around 2 minutes for soft runny yolk.
- Finally add, spring onion, parsley, coriander and the juice of fresh lime to the rice mix and plate immediately.
- Top with your perfectly poached egg.