Carrot, Coconut & Lime Soup
I first made this soup after I had been out for lunch with my parents when my dad ordered a similar dish. I thought I have to try and recreate it as it was just so nice. This soup is divine! The flavor is just incredible. Even my mum, who doesn't like coconut, loves it! The flavors are just beautiful and the coconut give it nice creamy texture. It's a firm favorite now. I just love it.
- 1 kg carrots
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1/4-1/2 chilli
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable boullion
- 1.5 litre water
- Pinch of himalayan pink salt.
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Wash, top and tail carrots. We leave the skin on as this is where most of the nutrients lie. Cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Place a large baking try in the oven with 1 tsp of coconut oil. Leave for two minutes then bring out and place the carrots in tray, coating then with the oil then return the tray to the oven. Roast for 30 minutes, turning every 10 mins or so.
- Place the onion and garlic in the oven with the carrots after 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining coconut oil in a pot. Add the roasted carrots, onion and garlic along with the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and chilli. Stir the ingredients together before adding the boiling water and bouillon.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, until the carrots are cooked through.
- Switch off the heat, remove the kaffir lime leave and add coconut milk.
- Now, you can either blitz the soup with a hand blender in the pot or transfer to a big blender. Blend until smooth.
- Squeeze in the lime and season to taste.
- For a perfect, silky smooth texture, sieve the soup after it’s been blitzed.