St. Valentines Heart Shaped Crostatine
Crostata is one of my favorite Italian treats: a “pastrafrolla” (shortbread) crust, filled with fruit jam and covered with a net of intertwined pastry dough. These crostatine pastries are a smaller version of this pie (in fact, every time you add the ending – ina/ine to an Italian word it indicates a smaller version of the original). They have a cute look and irresistible flavor, and they make for a great healthy Valentines Day recipe that will leave your loved ones speechless!
- 90 g Rice Flour
- 60 g Rice Starch
- 2 Yolks
- 20 g Acacia Honey
- 10 g Agave Syrup
- 30 g Coconut Oil (melted)
- 30 g Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 50 g Fig Jam (or any jam of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add in all wet ingredients and mix well.
- Knead the dough by hand until elastic and smooth.
- Using a rolling pin, roll down the dough on a wooden board until 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Place your heart shaped pastry cups on top of the flattened dough, press it down and cut heart shaped pieces of dough to fill the cups.
- Fill each crostatina with 1 tbsp of jam and decorate the top with some remaining stripes of dough.
- Bake your pastries for 25 minutes and let them cool down before serving.