Potato Free Paleo Gnocchi
As you’ll have the chance to test yourself, this paleo gnocchi recipe is a much lighter, healthier version of the original. And because I know that you all have different preferences when it comes to seasonings, I prepared two different kinds of sauces: one for the Balsamico lovers (just like me) and one for those who don’t want to give up their beloved cheese sauce (just like my husband)!
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Himalayan Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cauliflower, steamed
- 1/8 tsp Saffron
- 20 grams Coconut Milk
- 4 leaves of Sage
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 100 grams Cassava Flour (I use Amafil)
- 1 pinch Nutmeg (avoid if on the AIP)
- 1 pinch Salt
- 600 grams Kabocha Squash, raw*
- Cut the squash, clean it and steam it until soft. (Make sure you use this kind of squash as the other ones are too watery and your gnocchi won’t stick together)
- Mash it with a fork or with a potato masher
- Add in salt, nutmeg and flour and knead well
- Take pieces of dough and roll them down with your hands on a floured (I used cassava) wooden floor until 1 inch thick.
- Cut the rolls in small pieces (1 inch wide) and set them aside on a tray covered with parchment paper so they don't stick or on a different side of the wooded board you are using as a working space.
- Fill a medium sized pot half way with water and bring it to boil. When the water starts to boil, add in a pinch of salt and pour in the gnocchi making them slide gently from the board to the water.
- To prepare the Balsamico Saffron sauce, heat up the olive oil in a small pan. When it starts to fry, add in the sage that you previously washed and cut. Let if cook until is starts to get crispy, then press it down with a fork until it breaks in small pieces
- Add in the coconut milk and the saffron, mix for a couple of minutes and set aside
- Cook your paleo gnocchi for about 4 to 5 minutes and when they start to load on the surface, strain them with a wire strainer and put them in the plates a bit at the time
- As you place each portion of gnocchi in the plate, scoop a table spoon of sauce on top of them until completely seasoned.
- Add a drizzle of aged Aceto Balsamico from Modena on top of your paleo gnocchi and enjoy!!