Healthy Dhal – Gluten Free Lentil Soup
One of my first choices when it comes to eating out is always to enjoy some healthy Indian food – and in my mind this meal cannot start without a healthy dhal, an earthy, gluten free lentil soup that I am in love with. If you are looking to recreate a good replica of a restaurant’s healthy Indian recipe, this delicious gluten free dhal is for you! It’s so simple to make and yet it has a whole rainbow of flavors, coming form the mixture of amazing spices, the starchy taste of stewed lentils and the creamy coconut milk. I don’t want to tease you any longer. Here is your healthy dhal recipe!
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/3 Yellow Onion
- 500 g dried Red Lentils
- 1 litre Water
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 125 ml Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 tbsp Coconut Milk
- Finely dice the garlic cloves and the onion.
- In a large pot heat up the olive oil over medium heat and toss in the minced onion and garlic. Fry for about a minute then toss in the lentils and the cumin seeds and let them toast for a couple of minutes mixing continuously with a wooden spoon.
- Add in ½ of the water little by little and mix well.
- Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes
- When your healthy dhal starts to thicken, add in all the spices, mix well and pour in the remaining water.
- Keep simmering for 20 more minutes, add in the coconut milk, cook for 5 more minutes and serve.
- Garnish your healthy dhal as you see in the photos and enjoy!