Simple Healthy Marinade
Sometimes we need a bit of flavour in our life but packet sauces and marinades are often loaded with sugar and nasties. We eat a lot of chicken and salmon in our household – but they can be a little bland on their own so to pack in some flavour I make up this really simple healthy marinade. When I say it takes seconds… I really mean it! I feel a bit of a fraud calling this a recipe, it is that easy! You don’t need tonnes of ingredients and if you oven bake the meat or fish in foil you can use the cooked juices to pour over the rest of your dish as an instant sauce! Food doesn’t have to be complicated and while I am not suggesting this as a dinner party recipe, it is perfect for mid week suppers and lunches when you want something with flavour.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Juice of one lime
- Salt & Pepper
- Put the spices in a bowl and mix together, together with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add in the lime juice and stir to make a spicy 'potion'.
- Put your meat or fish on a piece of foil - enough to wrap it up in and make a parcel.
- Pop it in the oven on a high temperature for the required amount of time. For a chicken breast this is usually around 20 - 25 minutes (always check it is cooked through and the juices run clear), while for salmon it is 10 - 12 minutes.
- Place the meat or fish on your plate and pour the remaining juices over the rest of your meal.