Fig Chia Jam
When I was younger we had a fig tree in our garden and I couldn’t stand them. I didn’t get what the ‘grown ups’ were on about when they gushed about how delicious they were. I wish that I realised how lucky I was back then to have these precious fruits literally dangling in front of me, ripe for the picking! They are now one of my favourite treats and I look forward to ‘fig season’ every year! There are a number of sweet and savoury ways to enjoy figs, however this Fig Chia Jam one of the simplest and quickest things you can do with them and is perfect on toast, in yoghurt with a sprinkling of granola, drizzled over pancakes, as a base to chia puddings or spooned into porridge.
- 250 g fresh figs
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Chop the fresh figs, with skin on, into quarters.
- Place in a saucepan on a low heat with the maple syrup.
- Bring to the boil gently and allow to simmer for around 10 minutes, or until the figs are all soft.
- Remove from the heat and add your chia seeds.
- Leave to cool and enjoy straight away or keep in the fridge.