Butternut Squash Salad
This Butternut Squash Salad recipe doesn’t contain any lettuce, but still packs in plenty of delicious greens along with some healthy fats. Butternut squash is a root vegetable that is high in Vitamin A and contains good levels of antioxidants and fibre, making it not only pretty to look at and flavoursome, but packed with goodness as well! This butternut squash salad is a winner whether you eat it on it’s own or as a side dish.
- 1 cup butternut squash
- 5 florets of broccoli
- Big handful of kale
- Big handful of green beans
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Start by steaming off all your vegetables, including the squash. This should take 5 - 10 minutes for the greens and 10 - 15 minutes for the squash depending how small you have chopped it.
- Once steamed run the greens under cold water to stop the cooking process and place in a bowl.
- Place your steamed squash in a pan with the coconut oil and place on a low heat for 5 - 10 minutes to sauté off and slightly caramelise.
- After 5 minutes add your pine nuts and pumpkin seeds to the pan and gently toast - be careful not to burn them!
- Simply add your squash, pine nuts and seeds to your greens, season all with salt and pepper, and stir gently.
- Serve straight away or allow to cool and eat it later!