Rissotto & Cashew Cream
Rissotto has always been one of my favourite comfort foods, it has that creamy texture that simply melts in your mouth. Let me tell you a little about why this meal is not just a taste sensation! Cashews contain a wonderful wealth of plant protein and are also a great source of the minerals iron and zinc. This makes cashews an excellent part of a vegetarian and vegan diet. They add the protein kick to this meal, which keeps you fuller for longer, and helps balance blood sugar levels meaning you also have longer sustained energy levels. Brown rice, is one of my favourite grains, as its literally bursting with goodness. One cup contains 90% of your daily recommended manganese intake, which is so important for bone health. It also contains a wealth of selenium and magnesium which are important for energy production, immune strength and metabolic function.
- 450 g brown rice
- 1,5 litre hot water
- 6 tsp bouillon powder
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 2 punnets mushrooms
- 2 medium red onion
- 1,5 cups cashews
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups water
- Start by placing the rice in a pan. Boil the kettle and add 6 tsp of bouillon powder to 1.5L of boiling water, mix well before pouring over the rice. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let cook for around 45 minutes, you may have to top this up with more water towards the end if it is still a little hard.
- Next drain the soaked cashews and add all ingredients to your blender. Blend until smooth, place in a jar and leave to the side.
- Then wash and chop the vegetables. You want to chop the asparagus into small circles, the mushrooms into slithers and mince the onion.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan and let it heat up, then add the onions. Stirfry them for around 5 minutes until soft and caramelised. Put in a bowl and place to the side. Then with another drizzle of olive oil stir fry the mushrooms and asparagus. This again should take roughly 5-8 minutes until soft. Add to the bowl with the onions when your done.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the cashew cream and vegetables, stir well and make sure everything is really heated through.
- Serve up and enjoy with a nice green salad!