Cheese-less 'Cheesy' Butternut Pasta
This recipe for Cheesy Pasta sounds like it’s anything but good for you, but it honestly is so full of goodness it’s crazy. The cheese sauce is made from butternut squash, cashews, nutritional yeast and lemon juice, with a few other ingredients to enhance the flavour. The butternut squash and cashews make the sauce really creamy whilst the nutritional yeast and lemon juice are what makes it ‘cheesy’. Nutritional yeast is full of B vitamins, which are often lacking in a plant based diet, so this is a great way to harness them with out taking lots of supplements. The pasta I use is brown rice pasta, which is completely gluten & wheat free, made from 100% brown rice.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3/4 servings brown rice pasta
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon Juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make your pasta as directed on the packet. When ready drain and add the sauce, when its piping hot stir in some parsley and scatter with toasted pine nuts if you like!
- Add to your blender with all other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Peal and cube your squash, and chop your red onion. Place on a roasting tray, and roast for around 30 minutes, until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celcius.