Sassy Squash Tacos
A fun way to use seasonal ingredients without pumpkin spice ;)
- 3 Cups Squash
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 pack Tempeh
- 1 Pack Mushrooms (like cremini or baby portabella)
- 1 tbsp. each fresh rosemary and sage
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Ripe avocado
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 8 Corn Tortillas (I like Cool Chili Co's)
- Toppings like salsa, hot sauce, pico de gallo etc
- Heat oven to 200C and put 2 teaspoons of coconut oil on a baking sheet. Pop it in the over for a minute to melt then take it out of the oven and add squash cubes. Sprinkle some S&P over the squash (a couple of turns each of your grinder) and then toss the squash so it gets covered in oil. Roast the squash for about 20 mins, or until it starts to get golden around the edges. You'll want to mix squash half way through so it cooks evenly.
- While the squash is cooking, get the rest of the ingredients ready. Heat some coconut oil in a big shallow pan (like a frying pan) and throw in the onions. Let them sizzle over a medium heat for around 5 mins until they turn translucent. Add in the garlic, herbs, paprika, and S&P to season, mix everything together to make sure the onions are coated and let sit for about a minute before adding in the tempeh. Let the tempeh brown for a few minutes before adding in the mushrooms. Turn the heat up a bit until the mushrooms and tempeh are cooked through - around 5-7 minutes, then add in the rest of the squash. The squash might be a little mushy, this is fine.
- In a blender, mix together the coconut, lime juice and avocado until it's completely smooth, season with S&P to taste.
- Warm your tortillas up in a dry pan (according to the package instructions), add a spoonful of squash mixture, some avocado cream, hot sauce and pico de gallo to serve