Creamy Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Polenta Croutons
This curried carrot and sweet potato soup with polenta croutons is high in beta-carotene, folate, and vitamin C, all of them are associated with lowering the risk of cervical cancer.
- 1 tbsp hot sause
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- 4 carrots
- 1 red onion
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Once the polenta has cooled and has firmed up, loosen the edges with a knife, and turn it out onto a chopping board, cut the polenta into little squares and then arrange them on a baking sheet. Grill them (at 250°C) for 12-15 minutes, until they're nice and brown and crispy. You'll need to turn them two or three times as they cook. Set aside to cool.
- Serve croutons on top of a bowl of carrot and sweet potato soup, with lots of fresh black pepper and Cholula.
- Heat the vegetable broth over a medium high heat until it reached a boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta, making sure you stir it really well so you don't get lumpy bits. Lower the heat, and stir often until all the liquid has been absorbed, around 5 -7 minutes. Mix in the nutritional yeast and season with S&P. Pour mixture into a lightly greased baking pan or casserole dish and smooth it out on top with a spatula. Let it set until it's completely cooled, about and hour.
- While you're waiting on the polenta to set, start making your soup. Heat a big soup pot over a medium heat, then throw in the onions. No need for oil, they'll brown on their own, just keep stirring them so they don't burn. When the onions have started to turn brown, toss in the garlic and heat for another 30s. Add in the chilli and turmeric and mix to coat the garlic and onions. Add in the carrots, sweet potatoes, and the veg broth and bring up to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for around 20 mins until the carrots and sweet potatoes are soft. Let the mixture cool and then blend it up until it's really smooth. Pour back into the pan and stir in the coconut milk.