Chipotle Black Bean Burgers
A spicy and smoky black bean burger with nutty brown rice and toasted pumpkins seeds. Enjoy it with sliced red onion, guacamole and rocket/watercress salad.
- 10 buns
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chipotle flakes/powder
- 2 cups chopped red onions
- 1.5 cups dried black beans
- Soak the beans for 6 hours to overnight (in the fridge). Drain and rise.
- Put the rice and a pinch of salt in a pan with 3 cups water, and cook until the rice is soft, around 35- 40 mins.
- Put the rice, beans, and pumpkin seeds in a big bowl and mix them all together. Put half of the mixture in a food processor and blend until smooth. You can add the cooking liquid that you saved, or some water to get everything to stick together.
- Add the blended mix back to the bowl and stir it all together. Shape the mix into 10 burger patties and put them on a baking sheet. Brush with a tiny bit of coconut oil and put them in the oven at 180C for 20-30 mins, flipping them over halfway through cooking until they're browned.
- Note: If the burgers are too wet to hold their shape, add in a little brown rice flour to give them a firmer texture.
- Put the beans, 1 tsp salt, pepper, onions, and chipotle in a big pot and cover with water by 3 inches. Bring everything up to a boil and then lower the heat and let everything simmer until the beans are soft (around 1.5 - 2 hours). Most of the liquid should be absorbed but if they look pretty dry then add a little more water. Once the beans have cooked, drain off any cooking liquid and keep for later.
- Heat up a dry frying pan or skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds, remaining salt, paprika, and a pinch of pepper, shake the pan to get them seeds coated in the seasoning and cook until they're toasted - about 3-5 mins. If they start to pop you've gone too far.