Beetroot Devil's Food Cupcakes
These chocolate beetroot cupcakes are fudgy, vegan, gluten-free and topped with an insanely creamy avocado frosting. So along with some superfood magic and some healthy, skin-loving fats there are two types of vegetables in this recipe as well. I don't know about you but I take that to mean these cakes are seriously high on the health scale..... I'd go as far as to say it’s practically a chocolate covered salad!
- 1/2 cup beet puree
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- 4 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 ripe avocados
- Preheat your oven to 190c and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Puree the cooked beets in a food processor using a little water to help along the process. Measure 1/2 cup and set this to one side.
- Whisk together the almond milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and leave for a few minutes to curdle. Then add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup of pureed beets to the bowl and beat this all together.
- Next, sift in the flours, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt slowly whilst continuously mixing and keep mixing until there are no large lumps.
- Pour the cake batter into liners, filling roughly 3/4 way full and bake them for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Whilst the cakes are baking place all the frosting ingredients into a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Allow the cakes to cool on a rack before piping (or smearing!) your frosting on top of the cupcakes and storing in an airtight container.