ONE-PAN CREAMY GNOCCHI WITH SMOKED MHEAT AND MUSHR
Alberto's mum makes the best gnocchi in Italy (we Italians like to exaggerate like that). No really, she does! We were feeling nostalgic so we cooked this little beauty up. It's satisfying, filling, comforting and ridiculously tasty. It reminds us of a dish we used to eat when we went up to the Dolomites for our winter holidays, called "Gnocchi, Panna Rucola e Speck" - the original recipe doesn't call for mushrooms, but we added them in to add some extra tastiness.
- 100 g Smoked Mheat
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 25 g Mixed Dried Wild Mushrooms
- 200 ml Oat Cream
- 1 tsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 300 g Gnocchi di Patate
- Rocket to garnish
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- First of all, prepare your Mheat. Heat a smidgen of coconut oil in your non-stick pan along with some soy sauce, if you like. Toss the Mheat cubes in the pan and let them sizzle away until slightly crispy. Set them aside.
- In the same pan, add the rest of the coconut oil and let it melt over medium heat along with the wholegrain mustard. When it's clear (this shouldn't take long), add in the oat cream and dried mushrooms. Lower the temperature, cover the pan and let your sauce bubble away for a few minutes so that the mushrooms absorb the cream. Add in the nutritional yeast and let the sauce bubble away a little more.
- Drop your gnocchi into the pan, and add a little water (or oat milk, if you want it extra creamy) just so that the sauce runs a little easier. Cover the pan, and let the gnocchi cook in the pan with the sauce, stirring a few times. Add water or milk if you see it start to get a little dry. They should be ready in 2-3 minutes.
- When the gnocchi are nice and soft, toss in the Mheat cubes you set aside previously, add salt and pepper to taste, and give the whole thing a good stir to pack in all the delicious flavours. Serve immediately, sprinkled with a few rocket leaves.
- Voilà, dig in!