Quiche is usually accompanied by baked potatoes and a good salad, that gives you lots of room to play around with the flavor combos.
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed + 3 tablespoon water, mixed and let to sit to form a gel-type consistency
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 sliced mushroom
- handful fresh chives and parsley
- 250 g firm tofu
- 1/4 cup dried tomatoes
- 1 handful kale
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- To prepare the crust, combine all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl then add the prepared flax mixture, oil and water (add water only if you find its too dry, it should press together between your fingers)- then press the crust mixture against your greased pie dish's or tart dish. Poke a few holes with a fork in the bottom and bake for 10-15 minutes on 130 degrees or until its firm and lightly browned.
- Now for the quiche, first things first is, add the tofu into a food processor and pulse then start gradually adding your almond milk until it looks nice and creamy and not just like crumbled tofu.
- Set your tofu aside and prepare the remaining filling ingredients. In a non-stick pan, add the olive oil, onion and mushrooms until all the liquid has come out (about 5-8 minutes) then add the garlic and sauté for a further minute. Next, add the remaining ingredients and cook until the kale has just wilted.
- Now all you need to do is add your stir-fried mix to your creamy tofu and mix well so it's all evenly dispersed. Lastly, spoon into your baked crust and cook for about 25-30 minutes on 150 degrees or until the quiche is visibly browned and firm when you touch it.