Quinoa cacao bars
On a recent visit to my health food store I found a bag of puffed quinoa. I had heard of this delight but until now never found it. It works so well with this recipe and for me is very reminiscent of making chocolate covered rice krispies or corn flake cakes in paper cup cake cases as a child :) They are an antioxidant rich, gluten free, light, tasty, fibre and protein packed sweet treat, perfect for an afternoon nibble.
- 2 cup Puffed quinoa
- 1 cup Coconut
- 1/2 cup Raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup Almond or cashew butter
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Add the puffed quinoa, cacao powder, nibs, chia seeds and coconut to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a smaller microwave safe bowl add the coconut oil, honey, vanilla and nut butter and heat until melted. Stir to combine. You can alternatively melt the ingredients in a small pan on your hob.
- Pour the melted goodness into the quinoa bowl and stir well to combine all the ingredients completely.
- Line a baking pan, tray or dish with parchment paper.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into the lined pan and using the back of the spoon spread the mixture evenly.
- Pop this into your fridge to set for an hour.
- Remove the chilled quinoa slab from your lined pan, discard the parchment paper and carefully slice it in half and then into your desired shape/sizes. I got 15 slices.
- Store in an airtight container in your fridge for a week.