Vegan Mince Pies
To serve, I suggest dusting with a sprinkle of cinnamon from a height. You guys can feel free to top with cream or ice cream if you wish but I will reframe from such indulgences. If you would like a healthier alternative add 1/2 a can of coconut cream to a bowl with a touch of vanilla essence and beat using an electric whisk. The result is a wonderfully light cream perfect to top your freshly baked mince pies.
- 200 grams buckwheat or spelt flour
- 100 grams coconut oil
- 5 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- Pinch of pink Himalayan rock salt
- 120 rams raisins or mixed dried berries
- 3 medjool dates
- 1/2 orange, juice & zest
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- A few grates of nutmeg
- Enough water to cover contents of saucepan
- 1 tsp. lucuma, maca or baobab powder (optional)
- Start by making the cases. Add the Flour, spices, honey, salt & melted coconut oil to your food processor and blitz until the mixture starts to come together.
- Remove from the food processor scraping all the contents into a freezer/sandwich bag. Pop this into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Now lets make the lovely winter spiced fruit filling. Add your dried fruit, coconut oil, spices and superfood powder (if using) to a small saucepan.
- Chop your dates into small chunks and add to the pan. Grate and juice your orange then add to the saucepan, along with enough water to just cover the contents of the pan.
- Turn the hob on to a medium heat and cover. Leave to simmer until all the water has been absorbed and evaporated (usually 15-20 minutes depending on how much water was added). When the mince meat is done remove from the hob.
- Remove your pastry from the freezer and pop back into the food processor.
- The freezing process will make our mince pie pastry wonderfully light and crumbly. Blitz for just a few seconds then remove and using your hands, roll the pastry into a ball.
- Lightly cover your work surface and rolling pin in flour and roll out your pastry until it is roughly 4mm thick or half the width of your index finger.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the pastry into disks and add to a greased cupcake baking tray.
- Collect the unused pastry and roll out to make your heart shaped toppings.
- Fill the cases with your mince meat, cover with your pastry topping and pop into the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until golden.