Banana and Blueberry Protein Bread
People always say that banana bread is a great way to use up bananas that are a few days over ripe, but this recipe is so sweet and delicious you will be counting the days to your bananas turn brown. The blueberries provide a lovely sweet touch and the drizzle, oh the drizzle, its a little sharp and so gooey. The best thing about this recipe and most loaf recipes is that the good times don’t have to end, create one loaf and it will last all week.
- 150 grams rye flour
- 50 grams ground almonds
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp. dried blueberries
- 3 tbsp. agave
- 2 tbsp. yoghurt
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- dash of vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. tahini
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- For the bread:
- Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees C.
- Put the eggs in your kitchen aid or food processor and mix until light and airy.
- Then add your bananas, yogurt, melted coconut oil, agave, vanilla essence, cinnamon & baking powder, until the mixture is well combined.
- Start to slowly add your dry ingredients, start with the protein powder, then ground almonds, then finally the rye flour. The batter should be very thick.
- Fold in your blueberries.
- Prepare your loaf tray by either; lightly greasing or lining with parchment paper. If you are using parchment paper a good trick my sister taught me is to scrunch it up and run it under the tap. This prevents it from rising up out of the baking tray and allows it to hold its shape.
- Once you have done this pour in your banana batter and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden on top.
- Another good test is to push a skewer into the centre and if it comes out clean, it is done.
- When the 40 minutes is up and your banana bread is done leave it to cool, this may take up to 30 minutes.
- For the lemon and tahini dressing, In a small bowl mix the tahini, lemon juice and melted coconut oil.
- When the cake has completely cooled remove it from the tray and spread this wonderfully sticky sauce all over the top of your cake, preferably with a brush. Leave for a minute or two for it to soak in. Slice your cake and enjoy with a nice cup of herbal tea.