'Healthy Russian Borscht'
Healthy Russian Borscht is a hearty and flavorful soup that is full of vegetables and is perfect for a cold winter day. It is easy to make and is sure to be a hit with the whole family!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large beet, peeled and grated
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced green beans
- 1/2 cup diced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, beet, potato, green beans, red cabbage, and parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the apple cider vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot.
A Healthy Take on a Classic
Russian Borscht is a classic soup that has been around for centuries. It is traditionally made with beef broth and is served with a dollop of sour cream. This version is a healthier take on the classic, using vegetable broth and omitting the sour cream. The result is a flavorful and hearty soup that is sure to please everyone in the family!
A Flavorful Soup
This soup is full of flavor thanks to the combination of vegetables, herbs, and spices. The tomato paste adds a nice depth of flavor, while the oregano and thyme give it a hint of earthiness. The apple cider vinegar adds a nice tanginess that really brings all the flavors together. The grated beet adds a nice sweetness that really rounds out the flavor of the soup.
A Perfect Winter Meal
This soup is the perfect meal for a cold winter day. It is warm and comforting, and it will fill you up without weighing you down. It is also a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables! Serve it with a side of crusty bread or a simple green salad for a complete meal. Enjoy!