Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie with Brownie Crust
A beautifully creamy, healthy, chocolate sweet potato pie with a soft and chewy brownie crust. It's gluten and grain free, dairy free, nut free, and refined sugar free. Serves 8
- 1 1/4 cup Desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Starch
- 2 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil
- 3 tbsp Honey, Maple syrup or Agave
- 1/2 cup Sweet potato puree
- 1 1/2 cup Sweet potato puree
- 1/2 cup Honey, Maple syrup or Agave
- 2/3 cup Coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp Pink himalayan salt
- For the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ Gas 4
- Mix together the coconut, tapioca starch and cacao (or carob) powder. (See note below)
- Mix the coconut oil, sweetener and sweet potato together until smooth. (I use a blender for this)
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients together to bring the dough together.
- Press the dough into your pie tin, bringing it up the sides.
- Prick the base with a fork and then chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. The base and sides should be dry, but still soft and spongey, with browning along the edges.
- Allow to cool completely and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- For Filling:
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine all the filling ingredients.
- Blend on high until a smooth, glassy, pudding like consistency. It should be thick, but pour-able.
- Pour into the chilled pie crust smoothing out the top. (if you want to add something like cacao nibs like I did, this is a great time to do that.)
- Allow to chill for at least two hours before serving.
- If you don't have fine coconut, you can use a blender or food processor on low to blend the coconut to a finer consistency. You want it to be of a dirt consistency, not powder, but not huge grains