CHOCOLATE COOKIE + BANANA ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
I came up with a simple recipe that is at least reminiscent of what I used to chomp on as a child but without any cruelty involved. There’s also no need for an ice cream machine in this recipe as I simply use a three ingredient banana ice cream to slather between the chocolate biscuits. If you don’t have the required high speed blender or food processor though you could still make these sandwiches of course. Just get some store bought vegan ice cream and use that. Here in Sweden the two most common and affordable brands are Tofuline (known in other countries as Swedish Glace) and Oatly. The second being my personal favourite. Do bear in mind however that using store bought ice cream will make these treat sandwiches a little bit more of a treat as we take a whole food out and replace it with a processed substitute. Either way and however you decide you want to make your ice cream sandwiches this summer I hope they will be delicious and satisfying – exactly the way a treat should be!
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 tbsp milled flax seed
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 1/2 cup frozen banana chunks
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- Combine apple sauce and milled flaxseeds and let gel together for roughly 10-15 min. Stir coconut sugar, melted coconut oil and maple syrup together until combined.
- Sift flour, cacao, baking powder and vanilla powder together in a separate bowl.
- Add flax and apple gel into wet sugar and oil mixture and combine well before adding dry ingredients in three stages mixing well in between.
- Let cookie dough set in fridge until mouldable and then roll into 16 equal balls.
- Flatten the balls into roughly 1/2 cm thick rounds on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 min before letting them cool completely.
- Ones the cookies have cooled off make the ice cream by adding the coconut cream and vanilla powder to a high speed blender or food processor and start blending.
- As the blender/processor runs start adding your frozen banana chunks and keep adding and blending until it forms a thick banana ice cream.
- Plop a dollop of banana ice cream onto a biscuit and then place anothe biscuit on top and press down until the ice cream spreads (see video).
- Keep in the freezer and defrost for roughly 10-15 min before enjoying.