Slow Cooked Ratatouille
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 sliced onions
- 2 medium red capsicum, sliced thickly
- 1 large eggplant, cut into large chunks
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 6 medium tomatoes, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup basil, leaves torn
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Add the olive oil and garlic to a large heavy based saucepan and sauté over a medium heat until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Turn the heat to low and add the onions and capsicum. Sauté until the onions start to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, stir, and then cover the pot with the lid. Simmer until the tomatoes are soft and have released a lot of liquid.
- Add the eggplants, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cover with the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the zucchini and stir. Replace the lid and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Stir through the basil and serve.