Tofu Stuffed Mushroom
Going a little more meatless is a great way to decrease saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet. Below is my recipe for tofu stuffed portabello mushrooms. Bring on the veggies and plant protein!
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Portabello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper as needed
- chicken broth as needed
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Chop pepper, onion, tomato and sauté in olive oil on medium - high heat. As ingredients soak up oil, use chicken broth to continue cooking until ingredients all blend together.
- While veggies are sautéing, clean portabello mushrooms and with a spoon scoop out the insides, cut off the stem, chop, and add to veggie mixture in pan. Place cleaned mushrooms on aluminum lined baking sheet.
- Cut tofu block in half. Dice halved tofu.
- When veggies are soft, (about 15-20 minutes), add diced tofu. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add handful of spinach and breadcrumbs. Add salt and pepper to liking. Mix all together and take pan off the heat.
- Using a spoon, scoop mixture into portabello mushrooms. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!