Dhokla: A chickpea flour steamed snack
Steam cooked snack made with chickpea and rice flour. Garnished with tempered mustard.
- 1 cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon gramm baking soda
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger and chopped green chilli
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon gramm salt
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut
- Mix all the ingredients for the batter. Make sure there are no lumps. In the meanwhile set aside a steamer on the stove with hot water. Allow the water to boil
- Add the baking soda to the batter and mix for a minute. The batter will become fluffy and rise to double it's size.
- Now pour the batter into a greased plate that goes in the steamer.
- Allow this to be steamed for 10-15 mins.
- Do the toothpick test. If the "dhokla" is cooked, the toothpick should come out clean.
- Take out Dhokla from the steamer and set aside. Cut fluffy dhokla in small squares with a knife.
- For the tempering, add oil to a pan and allow to heat. Add the mustard seeds, sesame and curry leaves.
- Once the seeds start popping, turn off the stove. Allow to cool.
- Pour the seeds over the dhokla, add grated coconut and corainder.
- Ready to serve.