SOUS VIDE SALMON WITH CARAMELISED MAPLE SYRUP
This stunning sous vide salmon dish simply oozes sophistication. Perfect for a dinner party with friends.
- 4 60g portions of fresh salmon fillet
- 25 g Spiced sea salt
- 20 g Caster sugar
- 250 g Leeks
- 50 ml Double cream
- 10 g Freshly chopped curly parsley
- 1 small red chilli
- 1 Lemon
- 150 g Maple Syrup
- Combine the sea salt, sugar, generously season the fish fillets and leave to marinate for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Place the salmon in a vacuum bag and seal – or wrap tightly in several layers of cling film.
- In a water bath set at 46°C and set the timer for 45 minutes, once the water reaches temperature add the salmon and start the timer – if you don’t have a water bath simply slowly poach the salmon in water just below simmering point for approx. 10 minutes.
- Bring a pan salted water to the boil and add the washed chopped leeks, add a pinch of salt and boil for 2-3 minutes, drain and refresh in cold running water, drain well and squeeze the water out so the leeks are very dry and bright green.
- Boil the cream until it thickens slightly, add the leeks and warm through, season with salt and cracked black pepper, keep warm
- In a small saucepan heat the maple syrup until it caramelises slightly, remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Cut the chilli in half lengthways and remove the seeds, chop the flesh very finely and add to the maple syrup with the lemon zest, chopped parsley and some cracked black pepper.
- To serve – remove the salmon from the water bath (it can stay in the water bath at 46°C until required after the timer has gone off if required), brush with the caramelised maple syrup. Place the creamed leeks on the plate. Place the salmon fillet on the leeks and finish with a drizzle of the caramelised maple syrup, chilli and lemon.
- TIP: A nice touch is to serve with a caramelised lemon half, to do this cut a lemon in half and place cut side down in a non-stick frying pan and cook until the natural sugars in the lemon turn the surface a nice golden brown.