Vegan Apple Strudel
So apparentely, ‘Apple Strudel’ is like one of THE most traditional austrian desserts. Mostly it gets served in combination with a warm vanilla sauce & powdered sugar. The dough usually is a puff pastry dough so of course, my recipe isn’t really similar to the original one at this point but it’s the smell of this apple strudel that always leaves me speechless! So fresh, homemade and delicious-you ain’t got anything better than that, I swear!
- 300 g flour
- 3 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 160 ml water
- pinch bourbon vanilla powder
- 3 big old apples
- 1/2 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla coconut sugar
- pinch both bourbon vanilla & pink himalayan salt
- the juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 handful cashews
- Start off with the filling. Therefore, just pop all the ingredients of the dough into a bowl and stir them together until the dough is a smooth and soft ball. Set aside for about 30 minztes to an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Just chop up the apples (little pieces) and put them into a bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients for the filling and stir using a spoon.
- Take a kitchen towel and unfold it, afterwards lay it onto the countertop and sprinkle some flour all over it.
- Put the dough ball onto the towel and roll it out. Don't forget to always turn it around & sprinkle some more flour on both the towel and the dough to prevent it from sticking onto each other.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Shaping a thick "line", put the filling onto the dough but don't forget to leave about 10 cm from filling to brim on the longer sides.
- Now, carefully fold in the short sides followed by a longer side of your choice.
- Using the towel, *CAREFULLY* fold in and turn the strudel around (don't forget to be careful, hehe 😜).
- With care (who could have guessed this? 😄), put the Strudel onto a lined baking tray and put it into the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Optional but recommended:
- Spread some coconut oil on top of the strudel (before baking, ofc) for the best result!