Simple basil, quinoa and blood orange salad
Simple basil quinoa salad with cherry tomatoes, blood orange - it's simple, tasty and very healthy as the carbs are low GI so it's very filling and the energy release is slow keeping you feeling fuller for longer 🌿 This can be eaten on its own or used as a base for your own creation. You could add some salmon or tuna, or experiment with adding different veggies like beetroot, avocado and radish, or even add a little feta, mozzarella or halloumi! Nutritional Values (265g portion) Kcal - 250 Protein - 10.7g Total fat - 3.8g Sat fat - 0.5g Carbohydrates - 45.85g (Of which sugars - 14.6g) Fibre - 9g Stay happy and healthy 😊 🌿
- 30 grams fresh basil
- 60 grams quinoa
- 75 grams cherry tomatoes
- 1 peeled blood orange
- Rinse the quinoa with clean running water and add to a pan with a further 350 ml of water.
- Set this on a medium heat, stir and put a lid on it. Leave to simmer for 25-30 minutes, checking and stirring as you go. If it starts to dry out before it's cooked then add some more water.
- In the mean time, peel and chop the blood orange, and chop the tomatoes (however you like)
- *TIP - I save the juices that escape when chopping to drizzle over the quinoa to give it a citrus flavour! waste-not want-not!*
- When the quinoa is cooked, drain it, and run cold water over it to quickly chill it - this is a salad best served cold but in the sun 😊
- Add the basil, tomato, blood orange and quinoa to a bowl and mix it up!
- Now it can be eaten on it's own or you can spruce it up however you like. This is just a really great base for all kinds of salads. You could even add chickpeas or butter beans, or lentils - I could keep going!
- Enjoy 😊