Messy purple carrot and blood orange spring salad
With pomegranate, beetroot, avocado, quinoa, chorizo, spring onion and cherry tomato. Getting excited for some warm weather soon!
- 4 handfuls fresh salad leaves
- 2 pieces cooking chorizo
- 2 whole spring onions
- 1/2 whole pomegranate
- 1 whole avocado
- 1 whole purple carrot
- 1 small beetroot
- 2 whole blood oranges
- 8 roughly chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 175ml red wine
- 8 tbsp quinoa
- 1/2 whole red pepper
- This is a little faffy but the trick is to read through all the instructions first, then just take it bit by bit. It's not hard - just a bit faffy. I assure you, it's worth it.
- First, pre heat the oven to about 200 degrees Celsius (or gas mark 4)
- Whilst the oven is getting hot, juice the blood oranges, and decant the juice into a baking dish or tray.
- Peel and chop the carrots into long but thin strips (about 3mm), and then peel and chop the beetroot into very small, diced chunks
- Add the carrots and beetroot to the orange juice in the baking dish, cover with tin foil, and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, get a small pan and add the red wine, setting it on a medium heat to warm it through.
- Whilst it's heating, chop the chorizo into bite size chunks, then add it to the wine and reduce it down. This will cook the chorizo whilst infusing it with a deliciously rich flavor.
- Once cooked and reduced (it should take 10-15 minutes), remove the chorizo from the heat and keep it to one side.
- In another pan, heat 300ml water and once it's boiled add the quinoa. This should take between 15-18 minutes to cook.
- At this stage, you have a few bits on the go - the carrot and beetroot is cooking nicely in the oven, the chorizo is cooked and off to one side, and the quinoa is on the hob. Whilst that's under control it's time to get the salady bits ready.
- Scatter the salad leaves over 2 plates, and also the finely chopped spring onion and red pepper.
- Split the chorizo and add half to each plate as well as the pomegranate seeds.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, drain it off and, mix it with the salad on the plates.
- By this time the carrots and beetroot should be nice and tender. Get them out of the oven and arrange them around the salad.
- Lastly, half your avocado, and split between the plates, arranging as you like : )