German Lebkuchen (honey and ginger) Cookies
- 250 G Plain flour
- 100 G Honey
- 80 G Unsalted butter
- 100 G Ground almond
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate soda
- 1 Tsp Ground ginger
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1 Orange zested
- 2 Slices Orange
- Weigh out all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add the orange zest and squeeze the juice out of two orange slices by hand.
- Melt the honey end the butter in a pan over low heat and pour the mixture over the dry ingredients. Start mixing by hand. If it’s too sticky for some reason add more flour. If it’s too dry and you notice big cracks when you’re kneading the dough, add some more honey and butter combo or more orange juice. Let it cool down a little.
- Roll it out and cut the cookies with your preferred cutter. I cut holes into them with the help of a regular plastic drinking straw, for hanging them. Preheat oven to 175C and place the cookies on the baking tray covered with baking paper. Bake them for 10 minutes and
- they should be ready. They burn very easily, be careful. If the cookies are thicker, you can add 3-5 minutes more to the baking time.
- For the icing: Mix icing sugar with water in a bowl until you get the desired thickness of the sugar paste. If you’re just dipping the cookies, a weak and watery icing will do it. If you want to decorate the cookies with writing, make the paste thicker.