Cauliflower Mac 'n' Cheese
- 1/2 Small head Cauliflower
- 300 G Fussili
- 250 G Medium strength Cheddar cheese
- 50 G Unsalted butter
- 200 Ml Full fat milk
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 100 G Soft breadcrumb
- 1 Handful Fresh parsley
- 1 Hint Nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Steam the cauliflower florets above boiling water for about 15-20 minutes. (You can also choose to cook them of course.) Mash them with a fork roughly.
- Cook the pasta until it’s al dente or soft, depending on how soft you want it.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, prepare your bechamel sauce. Melt the 50g butter in a pan. Add the tbsp of flour, shimmer it until golden brown. Add half of the milk and keep stirring occasionally. Once it’s beginning to thicken, add the nutmeg, little salt and pepper. half of the grated cheese and finally the other half of the milk. Keep stirring. This will give you a nice, creamy, but somewhat watery texture. This is what we want, because it will cook further in the oven, plus, the pasta will absorb some liquid from it.
- Now, combine all: pasta, cauliflower, bechamel, the other half of the cheese, parsley in a casserole or baking dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the soft butter in a cup with your fingers until you can’t see the butter bits and sprinkle it evenly on the top of the dish.
- Into the oven for about 30 minutes on 200C. I hardly ever preheat oven, if you do, it will take less than 30 min. Bake it until the breadcrumb on the top turns nice golden brown.