Choc Nut Protein Bars (Raw, Vegan)
Total protein content is approximately 64.5g, if using almonds and 55g, if using cashews. But the whole recipe contains high amounts of magnesium, calcium, iron and omega-3 as well. Feel free to add your own personal touch to this recipe. The nuts and the dates are the base.
- 1/4 C organic raw hemp seeds
- Small pinch pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 C organic shredded coconut
- 1 C organic activated almonds and/or cashews
- 1/4 C organic chia seeds
- 1/2 C organic activated buckwheat
- 1/4 C organic cacao butter
- 1/2 C organic vanilla extract
- 2 - 3 tbsp organic raw dark agave
- 2 - 3 tsbp organic raw cacao powder
- Add all protein bar ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender. Process until mixture binds and becomes doughy. If the mixture is not coming together, add another date and process until doughy. The dates act the sweetener and the ‘glue’ in this recipe. Taste and adjust ingredients if need be. Pour mixture in a large, flat dish and press mixture down firmly. You may want to line the dish first. Put the dish in the fridge.
- In a pan, melt the cacao butter on a very low heat. The aim is to melt, not heat. Once the cacao butter is melted, sift in cacao powder and stir. Add sweetener and vanilla and stir until mixed through. Taste the chocolate and see if anything needs adjusting.
- Remove the protein mixture from the fridge and cover with chocolate. Put back into the fridge for a few hours and allow to set. The chocolate is optional, but it helps the flavour. I also find topping the bars with chocolate, more flavoursome than adding cacao powder to the mixture.
- Once the mixture and chocolate is set, cut into bars or squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. They should keep for 5-7 days.