Vegetarian Mexican Bowl
This Mexican bowl will rev up your metabolism with its spice, fulfil you with the protein packed in the quinoa and beans, and regulate your blood pressure and maintain proper digestion from the fiber found in the avocados and leafy greens.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 red red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 cup corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 bunch spinach
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 green onion
- Chili powder
- Turmeric powder
- Adobo seasoning (a little goes a long way)
- Fresh chopped basil & cilantro
- Fresh black pepper
- In a large sauce pan, heat up the olive oil.
- Dice the following ingredients: onion, tomato, garlic cloves, peppers.
- Heat the onion and garlic first until translucent.
- After simmering for about 3 minutes, heat the peppers, tomatoes, spinach, corn and black beans.
- After simmering for about 3 minutes, add a pinch of each of the seasonings listed above.
- After another 3-4 minutes of sauteing, add the quinoa and more seasonings to taste.
- At this point, you can add about 1/4 of some of the low sodium vegetable broth to make the consistency a bit more soupy.
- Simmer for about 7 more minutes to enhance the flavours, then transfer to your serving bowls.
- Top each bowl with half an avocado, fresh mung bean sprouts, chopped fresh green onion, and Greek yogurt. If you are vegan - nix the Greek yogurt.