A lot of classic coleslaw recipes call for mayonnaise and sugar, even buttermilk! Using dressings like this do taste creamy but it packs on the calories, unhealthy fats, and unnecessary refined sugar. To lighten up this side dish I use a pineapple based dressing instead of mayo. I also sneak in shredded carrots and sunflower seeds to add some beta carotene and healthy fats. The nuts also give the recipe a great crunchy texture as well.
- 1/2 cup pineapple
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- Pepper to taste
- Slaw blend of: broccoli slaw, white cabbage, carrots, parsley and sunflower seeds
- Toss together the broccoli slaw, cabbage, carrots and sunflower seeds in a mixing bowl.
- In a blender blend together the pineapple, white wine vinegar, pepper and 1/2 tbsp honey.
- Add the dressing to the mixing bowl, toss well and serve.