Carrot & Sauerkraut Rice Salad with Tamari Tahini
Perfect lunch to take with you at school or work! Eat it on-the-go!
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 carrots
- 1 long cucumber
- 300 g Sauerkraut, store bought or homemade
- about a handful sunflower seeds
- about a handful pumpkin seeds
- 100 gr feta
- 20 g chives
- 2-3 avocado, cut in halves, seed discarded
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp tamarin or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil or toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup, optional
- 4 tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Overnight or before going to work cover rice with at least three cups of water. Let soak for 8-12 hours.
- Rinse the rice well under cold water, discard the soaking water.
- Transfer the rice to a big pot and cover with 600 ml / 2 1/2 cups of water together with 1 tsp sea salt. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Let cook for 40-50 minutes, stirring from time to time. All the water should evaporate by the time rice is ready. Taste for firmness. If it is not ready, add extra water and cook for further 7-10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables.
- Coarsely grate carrots, cut avocados (half an avocado per person) and cucumber according to preference, chop chives. Transfer all together with Sauerkraut into a tupperware or a big bowl.
- On medium heat roast sunflower & pumpkin seed for 5-7 minutes. Let to cool.
- When the rice is ready, let it cool completely for a lunch box. Otherwise can be served both warm & cold.
- Add rice to the tupperware or the bowl. Sprinkle with toasted seeds and crumbled feta on top. Serve with Tamari Tahini Dressing (recipe bellow).
- FOR TAHINI Combine all the ingredients except water in a small bowl.
- The dressing has a tendency to separate during mixing. At that point add 2 tbsp water and continue stirring.
- Add another 2 tbsp water to reach the desired consistency. You could also use the juice from Sauerkraut in place of water.
- Add any of the ingredients to taste, if needed.
- Keeps in the fridge for 7 days.