Carrot Cake Oatmeal
With this recipe I wanted to show that everything that I spoke about is more than possible. You can easily take your porridge from a level zero to dessert-like feeling/flavour by using some carrots, apples & cinnamon. This bowl of oatmeal is about making you feel more grounded, more connected, more clear-headed, fully satisfied with something decent which is yet simple & so warming to your heart. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 1 cup oats
- honey or maple syrup
- peanut or almond butter
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- water for soaking
- Pomegranate seeds
- Add oats to a bowl, soak with 2 1/2 cups water overnight. Alternatively, in the morning soak your oats for 15 minutes in warm/hot water, just enough to cover the oats.
- Transfer oats to a big pot together with the soaking water. Add 1/2 cup fresh water or almond milk. Begin to cook on low heat. Preferably, use wooden spoon for stirring (I've noticed it makes a difference with porridge turning out smoother & richer).
- Add grated carrots and continue stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add apples and spices together with a pinch of sea salt. Continue constantly stirring for further 5 minutes.
- Just before your porridge seems ready stir in coconut oil and cook for another half a minute.
- Turn the heat off and let stand covered for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with peanut butter or almond butter (it will melt by a bit... sooo delicious), a dollop of yoghurt or almond milk, 1 tbsp of maple syrup, pomegranate seeds and freshly ground cinnamon, if possible.