Caramelized Rhubarb with Thyme on Creamy Polenta
- 800 g fresh rhubarb
- 500 ml almond milk
- a pinch of sea salt
- a generous pinch of pepper
- 1/2 tsp cardamon
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- knob ghee or coconut oil
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 200 g tender stem broccoli
- grated parmesan cheese
- salad cress or fresh sprouts
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Rinse rhubarb and cut into even chunks (smaller than on the second picture). In a big bowl combine the rest of the ingredients. Then add rhubarb to the mixture and using hands or spoon coat thoroughly.
- Transfer rhubarb to the baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan heat almond milk and the broth. When it starts to simmer, slowly pour in polenta while continuously whisking (to prevent clumping). Whisk constantly for 5 minutes (be careful at this step! It might start bubbling and could burn you). Then reduce the heat to low and stir polenta every 5 minutes for 40 minutes. Half way through add the spices & thyme. If becomes too thick add more broth, almond milk, or water.
- 10 minutes before the polenta is ready steam broccoli for 5-10 minutes. Keep it warm, if the other components of the dish are not ready yet.
- When polenta is ready (it must be smooth, not gritty), stir in ghee and parmesan, and a little more liquid if necessary.
- Portion the polenta into 4 plates; add the rhubarb and steamed broccoli. Top with some parmesan and salad cress or sprouts.